An Apprehended Violence Order (AVO) is an order made by a court to protect a person from violence, intimidation or harassment from the person who makes you fear for your safety

An AVOs say that the other person must not assault, harass, threaten, stalk, or intimidate you. Other conditions can be included.

The other must follow the AVO. 

There are two types of AVOs:

  1. Apprehended Domestic Violence Order (ADVO)

    An ADVO is made where the people involved are related, living together or in an intimate relationship, or have previously been in this situation. ADVOs are also available to people who are or have been in a dependent care arrangement with another person, including paid and unpaid carers, and to people living in the same residential facility.
  2. Apprehended Personal Violence Order (APVO)

    An APVO is made where the people involved are not related and do not have a domestic relationship, for example, they are neighbours or work together.

How to apply for an Apprehended Violence Order?

You can contact the police and they can apply for an AVO on your behalf or you can apply directly at your Local Court:

  • ADVO – Court staff must allow you to apply for an ADVO at a Local Court. 
  • APVO – An application may be refused application is not serious or is made to cause trouble. 

If the police have applied for an AVO for you, you do not need a lawyer. The police will appear in court. If you have applied for an AVO on your own through the Local Court, it is a good idea to get a lawyer to represent you. You can represent yourself in Court or engage a lawyer to appear for you.


Your Agreement with your lawyer

Your lawyer should: You are in charge, your lawyer should make that clear You have a right to know the possible outcomes of your legal matter.  Sometimes your lawyer will need to tell you that the outcome you seek is not possible.  This might be for reasons of law or...

read more

Who can qualify for Legal Aid

LEGAL AID NSW Not everyone qualifies, but if you have a legal problem and you have insufficient funds, give us a call and discuss your options. We are registered on the NSW Legal Aid panels: Criminal matters, and Family law matters. Legal Aid NSW can only assist you...

read more

Should I consider bankruptcy?

 What does it mean if I go into bankruptcy? You will have a trustee that will manage your bankruptcy Bankruptcy may affect your income, employment and business Bankruptcy does not release you from all debts It affects your ability to travel overseas Your name...

read more